Made with Wantsumeaux Brown Gravy
- 1 package Wantsumeaux Brown Gravy mix
- 1 lb 80/20 ground beef
- 6 cups water + 2 more as needed
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 3 ribs celery, diced
- 3 carrots, diced or disked
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 container Knorr Homemade Beef Stock (gel)
- 2/3 cups raw pearl barley*
Season ground beef with salt and pepper and brown, keeping in rather large chunks – don’t prepare like taco meat. Drain fat or keep enough to sauté vegetables; add onions, celery, garlic and carrots to the meat and cook until onion start becoming translucent.
Whisk Wantsumeaux Brown Gravy mix into 2 cups hot tap water; add to meat and vegetables. Add 4 more cups water and Beef Stock gel; season with salt and pepper. Pout in barley, stir, cover, reduce heat to low and simmer until barley is done, about 30 minutes. If too thick, add more water ½ cup at a time to get the thickness desired.
*Replace barley with rice to make a gluten free soup.
Yields: 6-8 servings